Monday, December 11, 2006

Precious lessons
Ok, I can’t stop writing anymore. I’m not going to tell you how I have ended up here because remembering those days still bothers me somehow, but I want to tell you how happy I am for being here. First let me confess that coming back to university after two years working wasn’t so easy that I thought before.

I remember after finishing the first course at LUMES, how much I was angry about the course and the exam. I was complaining about timetable, lectures and the exam’s format. But one my lumesy friend said to me: “Hey, you knew the rules of game before, if you are not satisfied, go back home, otherwise stop complaining and work harder”. Actually I didn’t know the rules completely before, and in that time, which I didn’t have a place, I didn’t have my student card and in short I was under a lot of pressure, I needed something more sympathetic rather than that sentence. But I thought to myself “yes, she is 100% right”. I really needed a punch to find myself! And fortunately I did! Getting B in the second course wasn’t just a mark for me; I proved a lot of things to myself. I really appreciate my friend’s comment.

I would say even the conflicts might be useful to learn. Last week, I started a debate based on a scientific article, but unfortunately it ended up with “shame on people who don’t want to pay 10 SEK for xmas present!”. First I was a little bit disappointed of how subject changed. I received some impressive emails, and the attitude of some students was so offensive. I didn’t understand why they took it personal. At the end, only 13 voted for carbon emission credit among about 60 students, but as they were more in comparison with other groups, most students including me, just paid their 10SEK to get rid of the junk emails. But it was interesting for me to see different reactions, bad or good both were interesting for me. I became happy that most of my friends have realized what the subject was really about.

All in all, I have to say, these four months were full of new things to learn, from different friends, from different parts of the world. I think this is wonderful. There are a few ambiences in which you can learn a lot in a short period of time, in addition to go to the party almost every week! I’m really happy about it. I really believe we can do a lot of things after our graduation because we are learning and experiencing several new things. I love you my lumesy friends :x

-Maryam

1 comment:

David said...

hey maryam, thanks for the inspirational post and positive attitude... i really respect that you worked so hard on that second course and that you fought for what you believed in with regard to the gift... personally i wasn't too worried either way, but a dissenting opinion is essential to a healthy democracy :-)