Saturday, December 9, 2006

My two favorite quotes

Hmm, may I share not just one but two of my most favorite quotes: one short and one very long? As you probably already know, I’m a big fan of ‘all things Apple’, like fruits, trees, orchards, Apple Macintosh, and many others… And both favorite quotations of mine are somehow related to this passion.

The first comes from a girl whose words from her high school essay were used for one of the Greenpeace International Annual Reports:

“even if I knew the world was coming to an end tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree”

I think it’s one of the most beautiful lines of text I’ve ever come across…

And the second quote inspires me very much as well, it comes from my favorite author Kim Stanley Robinson and his wonderful book ‘The Years of Rice and Salt’:

“We will go out into the world and plant gardens and orchards to the horizons, we will build roads through the mountains and across the deserts, and terrace the mountains and irrigate the deserts until there will be garden everywhere, and plenty for all, and there will be no more empires or kingdoms, no more caliphs, sultans, emirs, khans, or zamindars, no more kings or queens or princes, no more qadis or mullahs or ulema, no more slavery and no more usury, no more property and no more taxes, no more rich and no more poor, no killing or maiming or torture or execution, no more jailers and no more prisoners, no more generals, soldiers, armies or navies, no more patriarchy, no more clans, no more caste, no more hunger, no more suffering than what life brings us for being born and having to die, and then we will see for the first time what kind of creatures we really are.”

1 comment:

Ade said...

Thanks Oleg... so here is a good one that relates to Gardens. "Watching gardeners label their plants I vow with all beings to practice the old horticulture and let the plants identify me."

Robert Aitken

I've always seen the garden as a great metaphor for my life. I feel like being here in Lumes is allowing me to grow my garden the way I want to, and that is very important to me.